Facial shaving has gained a lot of popularity as a beauty trend and an easy solution among women in the past few years. Traditionally considered a male grooming practice, the idea of women shaving their faces might seem controversial at first. However, this treatment is gradually breaking barriers and gaining recognition for its numerous benefits. From smoother skin to improved makeup application, delve into this emerging trend and embrace a new era of self-care.
Where Does Women Facial Shaving Come From?
Women's facial shaving is not a recent phenomenon. Historical records indicate that women in ancient civilizations such as Egypt and Rome practised facial shaving as a part of their beauty routines. These practices were primarily centred around hygiene, exfoliation, and promoting radiant skin. However, over time, societal beauty standards shifted, and facial shaving became associated predominantly with men. It is also rumoured that some of the Hollywood stars like Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe used to shave their faces in order to keep their complexion clear, healthy and glowing as well as maintain youthful complexion.
What Is The Science Behind Facial Shaving?
Facial shaving involves using a razor or a dermaplaning tool to gently remove the fine, vellus hairs, also referred to as "peach fuzz," from the face. Contrary to common misconceptions, these hairs do not grow back thicker or darker after shaving. The myth likely arises from the fact that shaved hair has a blunt edge, which can make it feel coarser during the initial regrowth stage. However, the texture of the facial hair remains the same, and the regrowth process is identical to natural hair growth. Shaving also provides incredible exfoliation benefits, as it helps remove dead skin cells, resulting in a smoother brighter complexion.
What Are The Benefits of Facial Shaving for Women?
1. Smoother Skin: Facial shaving/dermaplaning eliminates the fine facial hairs that can trap dirt, oil, and dead skin cells, leading to a dull complexion. By removing these hairs, you can achieve a smoother and more radiant skin appearance.
2. Enhanced Makeup Application: By dermaplaning you can create a smooth canvas for makeup application. Without the layer of peach fuzz, foundation glides on effortlessly, resulting in a flawless finish. Moreover, makeup products tend to adhere better to shaved skin, ensuring longer-lasting wear.
3. Skincare Absorption: After shaving, skincare products penetrate deeper and therefore more effectively into the skin. Without the presence of facial hair, serums, moisturisers, and masks can nourish the skin, promoting hydration and enhancing their skincare effectiveness.
4. Exfoliation Benefits: Shaving acts as a gentle form of physical exfoliation. It helps slough off dead skin cells, revealing a fresher complexion and stimulating the skin's natural regeneration process.
How to Shave Your Face?
If you decide to give facial shaving or dermaplaning a try, it is essential to follow a few guidelines for a safe and the most effective experience. Firstly, ensure that your skin is clean and makeup-free. Then, using a clean razor or a dermaplaning tool specifically designed for facial shaving, proceed to shave your face in lightweight, downward strokes. Shave in the direction of hair growth, using short and gentle strokes. Avoid pressing too hard to prevent skin irritation. Be cautious around delicate areas such as the eyebrows, lips, and any active breakouts. Afterward, rinse your face with cool water and follow up with a hydrating oil to soothe the skin and replenish your skin barrier.
Concerns and Misconceptions About Facial Shaving
Despite the growing popularity of facial shaving among women, concerns, misconceptions and myths still exist. One common worry is that shaving might cause the hair to grow back thicker, coarser or darker. However, this is purely a myth. As mentioned earlier, shaving does not alter the hair's texture or colour; it merely removes the hair from the surface level. It is important to note that each person's hair growth patterns and genetics are unique, so individual experiences may vary.
What do you need for facial shaving?
- 1. Dermaplaning tools/blades: For women, this is the key tool for facial shaving. The tool typically consists of a small blade specifically designed for facial exfoliation and removal of peach fuzz. These blades are often available in dermaplaning kits or sold separately.
- 2. Cleanser: Start by thoroughly cleansing your face with a gentle facial cleanser to remove any dirt, oil, or makeup. It's important to have clean, dry skin before shaving.
- 3. Mirror: Use a well-lit mirror, such as a bathroom mirror or a magnifying mirror, to see your skin clearly during the shaving.
- 4. Moisturiser or facial oil: After shaving/dermaplaning, it's important to moisturise your skin to keep it hydrated and protected. Use a nourishing facial oil that will help you replenish your skin barrier after shaving.
- 5. Towel or cloth: Keep a clean towel or cloth nearby to wipe off any excess product or debris from your face after facial shaving.
Wing It Cosmetic Take It Off Dermaplaning Starter Kit comes with everything you need for facial shaving at home. The kit includes blades in two sizes to reach and get the peach fuzz and dead skin cells from all the areas on the face easily. It also includes 100% squalane oil which is ultra nourishing and hydrating to help restore skin barrier post shaving, however it can be also used for oilplaning if your skin is sensitive.
Facial shaving for women is a beauty trend that is gradually gaining acceptance and recognition as it gives women great confidence in their appearance in addition to great skincare benefits. By debunking the myth that shaving leads to thicker or darker hair growth, women can embrace the numerous benefits this facial offers. From smoother skin to seamless makeup application and enhanced skincare absorption, facial shaving can become an integral part of your self-care routine. Remember to follow the proper techniques ensuring a safe and enjoyable experience. It's time to break the barriers and explore new avenues of beauty and self-expression.